The Baptist Pillar © Brandon Bible Baptist Church 1992-Present www.baptistpillar.com
"...The church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth."
I Timothy 3:15
Dr. James H. Brookes (1830-1897)
REMEMBER WHAT the Word of God does for us, and then think of the daring presumption of the man who tells the people that it contains numerous “errors and mistakes”.
· By it we are begotten - “Of his own will begat he us with the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures.” (James 1:18)
· By it we grow - “As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby” (I Peter 2:2).
· By it our souls are saved - “...receive with meekness the engrafted word, which is able to save your souls.” (James 1:21).
· By it we are wise unto salvation - “And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus” (II Tim. 3:15).
· By it we are cleansed - “Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you” (John 15:3).
· By it we are sanctified - “Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth” (John 17:17).
· By it we are built up - “And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified.”
· By it we are washed - “Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it; That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word” (Eph.5:25-26).
· By it we are defended against spiritual wickedness - “And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God” (Eph. 6:17).
· By it we are kept from the paths of the destroyer - “Concerning the works of men, by the word of thy lips I have kept me from the paths of the destroyer.” (Psa. 17:4).
· By it our path through life is lighted up - “Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.” (Psa. 119:105).
· By it we are made to rejoice - “Thy words were found, and I did eat them; and thy word was unto me the joy and rejoicing of mine heart: for I am called by thy name, O LORD God of hosts.”
· By it we are warned - “Moreover by them is thy servant warned: and in keeping of them there is great reward.” (Psa.19:11).
· By it obstacles are removed and scattered - “Is not my word like as a fire? saith the LORD; and like a hammer that breaketh the rock in pieces?” (Jeremiah 23:29).
· By it the secrets of all hearts are revealed - “For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.” (Hebrews 4:12).
· By it every blessing that comes from the hand of our Father is made sacred - “For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer” (I Tim. 4:5).
· By it an all-sufficient and only rule of faith and practice is provided - “...If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.” (Luke 16:31).
· By it unbelievers are to be judged - “He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my words, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day.” (John 12:48).