The Baptist Pillar © Brandon Bible Baptist Church 1992-Present www.baptistpillar.com
"...The church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth."
I Timothy 3:15
John A. Kohler, Pastor
Heritage Baptist Church
Those who claim to be disciples of the Lord Jesus Christ certainly ought to hold the same high view of Scripture that He held. However, many professing Christians today, including most pastors, hold a much lower view of Scripture than was held by the Saviour. What, then was Jesus’ view of Scripture?
The Lord Jesus Christ wholeheartedly believed in :
1) The Genesis account of creation (Matt. 19:4-6; Mark 10:6-8);
2) The Mosaic authorship of the Pentateuch (Matt. 8:4; John 5:46; 7:19);
3) The historicity of Abel (Matt. 23:35; Luke 11:50-51);
4) The historicity of Noah and the Noahic Flood (Matt. 24:37-39; Luke 17:26-27);
5) The historicity of Abraham (John 8:56);
6) The historicity of the account of Sodom and Gomorrah (Matt. 10:15; 11:23-24; Luke 10:12);
7) The historicity of Lot and the account of his wife having been turned into a pillar of salt (Luke
8) The historicity of the account in which Israel was given manna from heaven (John 6:31,49,58);
9) The Davidic authorship of some of the Psalms (Matt. 22:43; Mark 12:36; Luke 20:42);
10) The historicity of the account of Jonah’s having been swallowed by a whale (Matt. 12:39-41; Luke 11:29-32);
11) The unity and single authorship of the book of Isaiah (Matt. 13:14-15; Mark 7:6; John 12:38-41);
12) The Danielic authorship of the book of Daniel (Matt. 24:15);
13) The canonicity of the entire Jewish Old Testament, which excluded the Apocrypha (Matt. 23:35; Luke 11:50-51; 24:44);
14) The Christ centeredness of the Old Testament (Luke 24;25-27, 44-46);
15) The verbal plenary inspiration of Scripture (Matt. 4:4; 5:17-18);
16) The divine preservation of Scripture (Matt. 5:17-18; 24:35; Luke 16:17; John 10:35);
17) The vital importance of studying and knowing Scripture (John 5:39; Matt. 22:29); and
18) The judgment of all mankind by God’s Word (John 12:47-48).
Do you hold the same high view of Scripture that Jesus held? Does your church and pastor?
If Scripture was true and trustworthy enough for the Lord Jesus Christ, then surely it is true and trustworthy enough for every Christian, church, and pastor.