The Baptist Pillar © Brandon Bible Baptist Church 1992-Present www.baptistpillar.com
"...The church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth."
I Timothy 3:15
Text: John 14:13-14; 16:23-24
I. A REPEATED CONSIDERATION
A. Compare Luke 9:1 with 10:17.
B. Other verses:
1. Luke 9:48
2. Matt. 18:20 - We gather as a church in His name.
3. Matt. 28:19; Acts 19:5 - We baptize in His name.
4. Acts 3:6; 16 - Healing in His name.
5. Acts 4:10-12; Rom. 10:13 - Salvation in His name.
6. Acts 4:17-18 - Preaching in His name.
7. 1 Cor. 6:11 - Total redemption in His name.
C. Col. 3:17 sums up the scope of what we're to do in His name.
II. A WORD OF WARNING
A. The phase "IN JESUS' NAME" is not a rabbits foot, magic formula, postage stamp for prayers, or any other such thing.
B. To pray in Jesus' Name is more than a declaration, it is a disposition.
III. THREE ILLUSTRATIONS
A. The rod of Moses - Ex. 4
1. God gave authority through the rod of Moses.
2. The problem before was that Moses did all that Moses wanted to do.
1. The bride gets the groom's NAME.
2. The "Mrs." becomes authoritative at banks, for real estate, and credit in her husband's NAME.
C. Power of Attorney
1. Power of Attorney allows a person to chose someone to handle their business while away.
2. Christ chose His church while He prepares a mansion for us.
D. With these illustrations in mind they point to several words that will help illuminate these illustrations.
a. When we respond to the command to pray in Jesus' name, we are admitting the utter bankruptcy of our own name.
b. We are renouncing our own worth and merit at the throne of Grace.
c. HENCE: "Blessed are the Poor in Spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven." PTOCHOS not PENES
a. To pray in Jesus' name is to pray under an assumed name.
b. It's legal because we have the power of attorney. 1 Cor. 4:2
c. We gain everything in the Christian life through identification. Death, Life, Blessings, etc.
a. Eph. 1:3-12
b. All we have is because we have HIM!
a. John 15:7
b. Thus submission to the will of God [recorded and revealed] is a vital matter in praying in Jesus' name.
a. When I pray in Jesus' name, I'm fulfilling my privilege of representing Him and His interest here on earth.
b. Having power of attorney or being married to Christ means that I can act in His name, in His behalf, and in accord with His best interest in every matter pertaining to Him.
a. John 11:41-42
b. 1 John 5:14-15
c. What expectation!!!
A. John 16:24