The Baptist Pillar © Brandon Bible Baptist Church 1992-Present www.baptistpillar.com
"...The church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth."
I Timothy 3:15
Highways & Hedges Tracts
"Let me not, I pray you, accept any man's person, neither let me give flattering titles unto man. For I know not to give flattering titles; in so doing my maker would soon take me away." Job 32:21-22
Flattering titles are clearly forbidden in the Word of God. Most men will say very little about this because they love the titles and they want to be seen of men and want the praise of men. Others may not have searched God's Word on this subject.
What are some of these titles?
1. "REVEREND" is whose name? What does the Bible say about the title of "reverend"?
It is found only once in God's Word. "He sent redemption unto his people: he hath commanded his covenant for ever: holy and reverend is his name." Psalm 111:9
This is God's name and His alone, but today we find many men being called "reverend." The word "reverend" is never to be used as a title by any servant of God. When we place such a title upon a man in some religion or a Baptist preacher this indicates that he has advantage over us in that religion or in Christ.
This title should never be given by anyone to a minister, pastor, etc.
2. PASTOR is not to be used as a "flattering title either. The name always begins with a small (p) which describes the nature of the gift from the Lord to the church as was the case with apostles, prophets, evangelists, and teachers also found in Ephesians 4:11.
Pastor is simply the designation of one's calling, not his title.
3. RABBI-- "But be not ye called Rabbi: for one is your Master, even Christ: and all ye are brethren." Matthew 23:8
4. FATHER is a flattering title used in Roman Catholicism. "And call no man your father upon earth: for one is your Father, which is in Heaven." Matthew 23:9
5. MASTER is used to today to honor men such as those in authority in Freemasonry who have their "Worshipful Masters", thus giving glory to men instead of Christ. "Neither be ye called master: for one is your Master, even Christ. "But he that is greatest among you shall be your servant." Matthew 23:10-11
Today we see many professing Christians trying to tell the Lord what to do. They always want things their way when it should be, "How can I be the servant of the Lord and do things Christ's way?"
If we are to be called anything let it be Brother, Sister or our name. We are all one in Christ. We need to be humble and stop trying to get God's glory for ourselves.
If we are saved we are all one in Christ with none above the others, but we have Bible schools, colleges, etc., today teaching that their students are honored by God because they go to their schools, such as Bob Jones University, Baptist Bible College, etc. They give them degrees of men such as Doctor of Divinity, Bachelor of Arts, etc.
Christ has always called His workers. He chooses the little meek despised ones and they are sent out by His local churches, but again these colleges are not under a local church authority. They are set up by their man-made "reverends" and Doctors of Divinity.
These so called Christians set themselves up to be God when they have no higher place with Christ than the sinner just saved.
The "reverends" and Doctors of Divinity do not like it because every believer has the right to read and study the Word and teach others.
The use of the title "reverend" by men comes from the Roman Catholic Church (1000AD-1500AD). What are Baptist pastors doing with "reverend" in front of their name? During this period of time God's people were persecuted, beaten and killed by Rome.
As we can see the title "reverend" has reached nearly all churches today bringing with it the stained-glass windows and massive church buildings like Rome.
Where are the come-outers who will leave all this paganism behind them?
Remember when the world loves you and calls you by flattering titles there is something wrong; either you are not saved or you are backslidden.
In closing, Dear Reader, have you learned to give reverence and honor to the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ? Pray now and tell others that reverend is His name.