The Baptist Pillar © Brandon Bible Baptist Church 1992-Present www.baptistpillar.com
"...The church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth."
I Timothy 3:15
A. The word "missions,'' comes from the Latin word mitto meaning "I send."
B. Each church, by the direct commission of Christ, is responsible for the proclamation of the gospel to the lost everywhere. Each church is to send out missionaries.
The Missionary Idea in the Old Testament
A. God said to Adam, "Be fruitful, and multiply and replenish the earth" indicating a worldwide design for Adam's race. Gen. 1:28.
B. God gave Abraham a worldwide purpose in the promise "...in thee shall all the families of the earth be blessed."
C. Joseph was a God-sent missionary to Egypt.
D. The story of Jonah is a fine illustration of missionary work.
The Missionary Idea in the New Testament
A. John the Baptist was "a man sent from God" — a missionary.
B. Jesus Himself was the great missionary. He constantly spoke of Himself as the messenger sent by the Father to a lost world.
C. The disciples were all missionaries — sent forth by Christ.
D. Christ established the church and commanded it to be missionary. Mt. 28:19-20.
E. The apostles and the churches of the New Testament times were all missionary.
God, Acts 13:1-5.
A. This passage of scripture sets down the method for sending forth missionaries.
B. It is the pattern God has given and should be followed.
1. The Holy Spirit called the missionaries for the work God planned for them ". . . the work whereunto I have called them." 13:2.
2. The Holy Spirit led the individual church to send these missionaries forth ''Separate me Barnabus and Saul for the work." 13:2.
a. There is no Mission Board or denominational organization even mentioned in the Bible.
b. All missionary work was to be done by the local church and was not to be handed over to any man-made organization.
3. The local church sent the missionaries forth "...they sent them away." 13:3.
4. On the field these missionaries were under the leadership of the Holy Spirit. 13:4.
5. The missionaries received their financial support directly from the churches.
6. The missionaries always reported back to the individual churches.